Drug Name: Nivolumab
Drug Class: It is a targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Opdivo
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Melanoma (a kind of skin cancer)
- Metastatic Non-small cell lung cancer
- Metastatic small cell lung cancer
- Advanced kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck
- Advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma
- Colorectal cancer
How Is It Given?
It is given as an infusion into a vein over 30 minutes, once every 2 to 4 weeks.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Abnormal weakness
- Rashes and itching
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal, joint, and muscle pain
Your doctor can prescribe medication to control these side effects. Nivolumab also causes other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 40mg/4ml, 100mg/10ml, and 240mg/24ml vials. Depending on the brand, the cost of Nivolumab 40mg can range between INR 35,000 – INR 40,000 per vial.