Drug Name: Rituximab
Drug Class: It is a targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Rituxan
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Various types of CD -20 positive Non- Hodgkin’s lymphoma (cancer that begins in a type of white blood cells)
- CD 20 positive Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (a type of white blood cell cancer)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (Joints pain, swelling, and loss of function).
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis and microscopic polyangiitis (conditions that cause swelling of the blood vessels, and damage organs by reducing blood flow to the organs or tissues).
How Is It Given?
It is given as an infusion into a vein under the supervision of an experienced doctor. The dosing schedule may vary depending on the type of condition, and how well your body is responding. It takes several hours to receive the first dose. Later doses you can receive quickly.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these common side effects.
- Infusion related reactions
- Redness of the skin
- Low blood count
- Nausea and Vomiting
Your doctor can prescribe medications to control these side effects. Rituximab may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 100mg/10ml, and 500mg/50ml vials. Depending on the brand, the cost of Rituximab 100mg can range between INR 6000 – INR 10,000 per vial.