Drug Name: Venetoclax
Drug Class : It is a targeted therapy drug, BCL-2 inhibitor.
Available under the brand name: Venclexta
What Is It Prescribed For?
- It is prescribed alone or in combination with Rituximab or Obinutuzumab to treat certain types of chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL; a type of white blood cell cancer)
- Small lymphocytic lymphoma (SLL; a type of white blood cell cancer that mainly begins in the lymph nodes)
- Acute myeloid leukemia (AML; blood and bone marrow cancer with excess immature white blood cells) in patients with 75 years of age or above or in adults who have other medical conditions that prevent treatment with other chemotherapy medications
How Is It Given?
It is available in tablet form and is taken by mouth once a day. It should be taken with a meal at around the same time every day.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Low blood count
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Electrolytes imbalances
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Extreme tiredness
- Edema (fluid accumulation)
- Low blood pressure
- Bone, muscle, joints, abdominal, and back pains
Your doctor can prescribe medications to manage these side effects. Venetoclax may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 10mg, 50mg, and 100mg. Depending on the brand, the cost of Venetoclax 100mg can range between INR 25,000 – INR 30,000 for a bottle of 120 tablets.