Drug Name: Sorafenib
Drug Class: It is an oral targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Nexavar, Soranib, Sorafenat, etc.
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Advanced renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer that has spread to other body parts)
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (inoperable liver cancer)
- Thyroid cancer that has spread and can’t be treated with radioactive iodine
- Refractory or resistant Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) & Angiosarcoma (recurrent & metastatic)
How Is It Given?
It is available in tablet form and is taken by mouth two times a day. It should be taken without food at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- High blood pressure
- Skin rash, dryness, and thickness
- Tiredness and abnormal physical weakness
- Nausea, and vomiting
- Painful blisters on hands or feet
- Hair loss
- Abdominal pain
Your doctor can prescribe medications to control these side effects. Sorafenib may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available only in 200mg. Depending on the brand, the cost of Sorafenib 200mg can range between INR 2000 – INR 12000 for a strip of 30 tablets.