Drug Name: Obinutuzumab
Drug Class: It is a targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Gazyva
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL; a kind of white blood cell cancer).
- Follicular lymphoma (a type of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma).
How Is It Given?
It is given intravenously (into a vein). Your doctor will schedule the doses and time intervals depending on the condition being treated.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Infusion-related reactions
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Lack of appetite
- Hair fall
- Low blood count
- Increased risk of infections
Your doctor can prescribe medications to manage these side effects. Obinutuzumab may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
Patients with the following characteristics should avoid taking this drug:
- Known hypersensitivity reactions to Obinutuzumab or any of its ingredients
- Serum sickness after the first use of Obinutuzumab
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
It is available in 1000mg/40ml. Depending on the brand, the cost of Obinutuzumab 1000mg can range between INR 2,50,000 – INR 3,50,000.