Drug Name: Nilotinib
Drug Class: It is a targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Tasigna
What Is It Prescribed For?
For the treatment of Ph+ chronic myeloid leukemia (a type of white blood cell cancer).
How Is It Given?
It is available in capsule form and is taken by mouth twice daily. Don’t take any food for at least 2 hours before taking Nilotinib and for 1 hour after taking this drug.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Rashes, redness, itchy, and dry skin
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle pains
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Nausea, and vomiting
- Low blood count
- Abnormal physical weakness
- Upper urinary tract infections
Your doctor can prescribe medication to control these side effects. Nilotinib may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious side effects, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
Patients with the following characteristics should avoid taking this drug:
- Hypokalemia (Low levels of potassium in the blood)
- Hypomagnesemia (Low levels of magnesium in the blood)
- Long QT syndrome (A disorder of the heart that can be inherited, or caused by a medication or other diseased conditions)
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 150mg and 200mg capsules. Depending on the brand, the cost of Nilotinib 150mg can range between INR 7000 – INR 8000 for a strip of 4 capsules.