Drug Name: Erlotinib
Drug Class: It is a targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Tarceva
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that has spread to other body parts
- Pancreatic cancer that has spread to nearby tissues or other body parts
- Advanced kidney cancer
How Is It Given?
It is available in tablet form and is taken by mouth once a day. It should be taken on an empty stomach at around the same time every day.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Itchy, dry skin with rashes
- Nail changes
- Cracking of skin on hands and feet
- Loss of hair
- Mouth sores
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Increased level of liver enzymes
- Swelling of hands, feet, ankles, and legs
- Redness of eyes
Your doctor can prescribe medication to control these side effects. Erlotinib may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 100mg, and 150mg tablets. Depending on the brand, the cost of Erlotinib 100mg can range between INR 3100 – INR 1,10,000 per strip of 30 tablets.