Drug Name: Cyclophosphamide
Drug Class: It is a chemotherapy drug
Available under the brand name: Cytoxan, Neosar
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system which is a part of the immune system)
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (a condition in which the body produces too many lymphocytes, a kind of white blood cells)
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (cancer of the immune system that mainly attacks the skin)
- Leukemias (blood and bone marrow cancers)
- Burkitt’s lymphoma (a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma)
- Multiple myeloma (cancer of plasma cells, a kind of white blood cells)
- Retinoblastoma (eye cancer)
- Neuroblastoma (cancer of adrenal glands that are present one on top of each kidney)
- Nephrotic syndrome (a type of kidney disorder that causes the body to excrete too much protein in the urine)
- Breast cancer
- Ovarian cancer
How Is It Given?
It is available in tablet form to take by mouth once a day and also given as an infusion into a vein once or twice every 7 to 10 days.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these common side effects:
- Low white blood cell count
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weight loss
- loss of appetite
- Changes in skin colour
- Mouth sores
- Hair loss
Your doctor can prescribe medication to control these side effects. Cyclophosphamide may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
Patients with the following characteristics should avoid taking this drug:
- Hypersensitivity to Cyclophosphamide
- Urinary outflow obstruction (blockage at the base of the bladder stopping the flow of urine)
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 25mg, and 50mg tablets (or) 200mg, 500mg, 1g, and 2g vials. Depending on the brand, the cost of cyclophosphamide 50mg can range between INR 30 – INR 50 per strip of 10 tablets and INR 60 – INR 90 per 500mg vial.