Drug Name: Ibrutinib
Drug Class: It is a targeted therapy drug
Available under the brand name: Imbruvica
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Mantle cell lymphoma (a type of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma that mainly affects the immune system) in patients who have received at least one prior therapy
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (a type of white blood cell cancer)
- Marginal zone lymphoma (slow-growing cancer that begins in white blood cells)
- Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia (cancer of white blood cells in the bone marrow)
- Chronic graft vs host disease (a complication of hematopoietic stem-cell transplant that may develop after the transplant and lasts for a long time)
- Small lymphocytic lymphoma (cancer that begins in the lymph nodes)
How Is It Given?
It is available in capsule/tablet form and is taken by mouth once a day. It should be taken every day at around the same time.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Muscle and joint pains
- Swelling and sores inside the mouth
- Low blood cell count
Your doctor can prescribe medication to control these side effects. Ibrutinib also causes other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Capsules are available in 70mg and 140mg, and tablets are available in 140mg, 280mg, 420mg, and 560mg. Depending on the brand, the cost of Ibrutinib 140mg can range between INR 7000 – INR 11,000 for 30 capsules.