Drug Name: Chlorambucil
Drug Class: It is a chemotherapy drug
Available under the brand name: Leukeran
What Is It Prescribed For?
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (a type of white blood cell cancer)
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system which produces immune cells)
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system that decreases the body’s ability to fight infection)
- Lymphosarcoma (cancer of the lymphatic system that includes lymph nodes, spleen, thymus gland, and bone marrow)
- Giant follicular lymphoma
How Is It Given?
It is available in tablet form and is taken by mouth, once daily for 3-6 weeks. Sometimes it is taken as a single dose once every 2 weeks or once a month. It is usually taken one hour before or two hours after a meal.
What Are Common Side Effects?
You may face some of these side effects:
- Low blood count
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mouth sores
- Absence of monthly periods in women
- Low sperm count
Your doctor can prescribe medication to control these side effects. Chlorambucil may also cause other side effects. If you face any unusual or serious problems, inform your doctor immediately.
Who Should Avoid Taking This Drug?
It should be avoided in patients whose cancer is not responding to Chlorambucil treatment, or severely allergic to Chlorambucil.
How Much Does This Drug Cost?
Available in 2mg, and 5mg. Depending on the brand, the cost of Chlorambucil 2mg can range between INR 950 – INR 2500 for a bottle of 30 tablets.