Osimertinib is a chemotherapy drug (targeted agent), that belongs to the class of signal transduction inhibitor. it is available with the trade name of Tagrisso.
the drug maily acts by inhibiting EGFR. Inhibition of this EGFR results in blocking of signals which are involved in proliferation, growth and metastasis of lung cancer cells.
Availability, dosage and administration
Osimertinib is available in tablet form and can be administered orally.
It can be taken with or without food and these tablets should be swallowed whole.
It is available in the tablet form with the dose strength of 40mg and 80mg tablets.
The recommended dose is 80 mg/day, Orally.
The drug is approved by the FDA for the treatment of metastatic non-small cell lung cancer, with EGFR T790M mutation as detected by FDA approved test after progression with tyrosine kinase inhibitors.
Most people do not experience side effects and the side effects experienced are reversible and do away once the treatment is complete. The common side effects are:
- Skin toxicity in the form of rash, dry skin, itching and nail bed changes.
- Lung toxicity in the form of cough, difficulty in breathing, fever etc.
- Tiredness, anorexia, decreased appetite
- Congestive heart failure.
- Before starting Osimertinib treatment, inform your doctor about other medications that you might be taking.
- Do not take any kind of vaccination or immunization without informing your doctor.
- Inform your doctor before starting the Osimertinib treatment if you are pregnant as this medication might be hazardous to the fetus.
- Do not conceive a child while on the Osimertinib treatment. This applies to both men and women.
- Do not breast feed while on Osimertinib treatment.
- Caution in patients with Liver and Kidney impairment.
- Avoid sun exposure
- Monitor patients cardiac function while on treatment.
Read more on chemotherapy in the treatment of lung cancer.